Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What are you up to now?

Alex W. Ireland
Summer Research Program '06

Mentor: David Foster
Project: Post-Settlement Forest Dynamics of a Central New England Basin Examined by Pollen, Tree Ring, and Historically Documented Records (abstract)
Hometown: Indiana, PA
College: Clarion University

What you miss most about the Summer Research program:
A life of scientific immersion with no other responsibilities.

What you miss least about the program:
Communal living quarters, which was fine at the time, but does not seem appealing now.

What about the program has stuck with you:
I have continued along the same research path.

Have you stayed in touch with other Summer students?
Yes. My wife (Alison Grantham) and I met as REUs in 2006. Another 2006 REU alum (Meagan Woltz) was in our wedding.

Did your Summer Research experience support or change your school/career plans?
Yes. My REU experience led me to graduate school.

What are you up to now?
In May, I earned my Ph.D. in the Earth and Environmental Sciences Department at Lehigh University. I am currently a Postdoctoral Research Associate and a new father. I do not know what comes next...

No comments:

Post a Comment